The above pic of the bike in its perfect form. No dents, scratches or scrapes. This is as we headed up towards Mt. Bolduc, a crash site near Lake Cowichan. Right before the first drop of many. I’ve learned lots since then, and drops are now fewer and farther between. Drops are always off road, slow speed, and over fairly tricky terrain.
I purchased this bike from Island BMW – I believe the previous owner worked at, and bought it from SG Power here in Victoria. It was a really good deal, as it had the Yamaha Genuine Accessories – bash plate and rear rack, Bark Busters hand guards, and a Givi top case. All for $4,500.
- At purchase, May 2015: 1,800 kms
- November 2016: 17,500
- November 2017: 23,000
- September 2019: 28,000
- Yamaha bashplate;
- Heated Grips
- Connectors for heated jacket. I we both have heated jackets from Electrowear in Errington, BC. I can run both the jacket and the grips, no problems at all.
- Horn upgrade (PIAA Sports Horn)
- CycleRacks rear rack – Note, we had to move the rear indicators back, to accommodate the rack and panniers. I attached them to the rack, using Instamorph.
(When touring, I use a tank bag and soft luggage from Wolfman)
- Adjustable controls: https://www.amazon.ca/Fingers-Folding-unbreakable-adjustable-2006-2014/dp/B014M0JXG0
In the boilerworks:
- I modified the saddle – a DIY job. The stock seat, in a word, is brutal, so I took out a section of the saddle and replaced it with high density foam purchased from a local upholstery shop. They did a bit of tidying up of my hacking and gluing, and stapled the vinyl back on to the pan. It is an improvement for sure, and I probably gained, (or lost, depending on how you look at it) about 20mm! I can handle the bike so much better, now that I can mid-foot things instead of tip-toe! It’s somewhat more comfortable, will have to see how we do on a longer trip.
- I’m also considering different shocks for the forks, and suspension. A Cogent Dynamics upgrade is what I’m eyeing, but it is sooo expensive! And then convert to CAD$! Ka-ching! If you have any suggestions/questions/experience with this, please feel free to share. I’ll post whatever I do, whenever that happens.