This is a great little bike, good for any off-road riding we are doing but also capable of highway travel if, of course, staying away from Interstates. For our 2016 WABDR trip it was perfect.
I bought it used in 2015 with only 3,000 km on the odometer but it now has many more.
Here is a list of modifications I have done in case it’s helpful to anyone. Note the picture above was taken early on so it doesn’t reflect all changes.
- Dialled in the suspension to my liking
- FMF Q4 slip-on muffler with PowerBomb header
- Dynojet Jet Kit stage two
- 128 main jet
- Needle on third groove from top plus two small washers above e-clip
- Dynojet spring
- Idle mixture 2 and 2/3 turns out
- Opened up air box (removed snorkel)
- TwinAir air filter
- Removed AIS and other such things
- Removed side stand safety switch and wires
- Removed passenger foot pegs
- Removed chain guard
- Installed a louder horn
- Wired in Zumo GPS
- Acerbis hand guards
- PaRay’s ECU set to Australian ignition timing curve (35°)
- IMS fuel tank
- Cycle Rack’s rear rack
- Seat Concepts’ Comfort/Dual Sport seat
- Replaced shift star (weak on 2009s)
- Aftermarket skid plate
With the above modifications, the bike runs very well and has a real kick around 6,000/7,000 RPMs. This is true going from sea level all the way up to 6,000′ altitude.